Monday, October 19, 2015

A Mountain and other tales

It has been quite a long time since I posted. I have four papers in two weeks on top of my regular homework, so I was very busy. Took the weekend to attempt to work on homework, but I mostly avoided it. Today is going to be crunch time though. I need to catch up on my reading.

I get to read the first two books of Chronicles of Narnia for my Fantasies of Youth class. I read some of them when I was younger, but I didn't like them. Rereading them however makes me realize that they really are good. I would recommend everyone to re-read books that they read as kids. It gives you a new perspective of the characters and the plot. If there is a children's book that you haven't read and you've heard a lot about it or see it on the shelf all the time pick it up and read it. A good book is a good book no matter what age group it is meant for.

Now onto more exciting things like climbing mountains. I have gained a newfound respect for mountains. They are force not to be taken lightly. It was a group of us that went up, and I was the one that straggled behind. One of my housemates kept encouraging me the whole way up, and I gotta say it was nice to hear. I finally made it to the top after who knows how many hours, but I made. Now I can say that I have climbed a mountain.

There was an abundance of fog the whole way up so this was the view at the top.
Standing on the edge was fascinating because I couldn't how far down it went. There could have been a ledge five feet below the fog or it could have been a steep shot down to the ground. Though the restricted view did dampen the view that we could have had it did make for and interesting experience. As we got to the top me and another person from our group were behind and we could hear people talking and they couldn't have been more than thirty feet away, but we couldn't
see them at all. It was surreal, but it was cool to have a weird experience.




This is my favorite picture of the ones that I took. It's near the top of the mountain and it looks like it could just go one forever. It makes me want to write a story. Those are my favorite kinds of pictures. The ones that give you the feeling that there is a something hidden in them.

On to things just as magical. I am helping with a production of Peter Pan at a local theatre in Bath. It has been a fun experience so far and I am impressed by the talent that the kids have. It's a slightly intimidating endeavor in that it is the first time I have coached someone in acting or been in a leadership role in theatre. I am generally the one that is on the stage and it is quite a different experience. It's good experience if I plan on directing plays when I become a teacher.

Also, I don't that anyone will be surprised to learn that I managed to twisted my ankle while stepping off the stage during practice. I would like to say that the stage is about a foot and a half tall which is an awkward height, and this awkward height is what I believe to be the sole cause of my ungraceful landing. It's not that bad of an injury. There isn't even any bruising, but it is very stiff now. It also makes walking up the abundance of stairs that are in every building that I visit regularly very awkward. I don't have class today, so I am resting it for now, but I'm not sure what's going to happen tomorrow when I have to walk to class.

More exciting things my sister and her husband will be in Bath on Wednesday! Then we will be going on the Harry Potter Studio tour the next day. Then after break my parents and granny will visiting as well. I expect these next couple of weeks to be awesome.

In the in between time when I don't have family members visiting I will be visiting Minack Theatre and watching a performance of A Midsummer Nights Dream. Though I am excited about what is playing I am more excited about the theatre itself. It has stone seating in a half moon around the stage and then where the back wall of the stage should be it opens onto the sea. How cool is it there exists in the world a theatre that has a backdrop that is actually the sea. One of my housemates told me about it and I am glad that she did. Since the trip there is rather long I decided to stay in the area for a couple of days. I will take pictures of the interesting things that I find. It should be fun.

Hope you enjoyed my blog. Sorry my abundance of homework made such a delay.

No comments:

Post a Comment